Will Amending A Tax Return Affect What I Owe?

Amendments are changes made to a previously filed tax return to correct errors or update information. They are essential to rectify mistakes in reporting income, deductions, credits, or filing status, ensuring accurate and compliant tax filings. If you’ve made a mistake with your return, Louisiana tax consultants can help you to navigate the process. They will optimize your tax situation, minimize the penalties, and help you to avoid future issues.


Amending a tax return can indeed affect what you owe or the amount of your tax refund. When you file an amended return, you are correcting any errors or changes in your income, deductions, or credits from your original return. If the amendments result in an increase in your taxable income or a decrease in credits, you may owe more taxes.

On the other hand, if the changes lower your taxable income or increase your eligible credits, you could be entitled to a larger tax refund. It’s important to double-check your calculations and gather all necessary documentation before submitting the amended return. If you discover that you owe additional taxes, paying them as soon as possible can prevent interest and penalties from accruing.


What you need to do depends on the type of mistake you made. If it was a simple math error, the IRS will usually catch and fix it for you, so there’s no need to do anything. However, if you realize that you chose the wrong filing status or need to change your income, deductions, or credits, you should submit an amended tax return using Form 1040-X, which is called the Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

When you file the amended return, make sure to include copies of any forms or schedules that you are changing or didn’t include in your original return. Also, it’s important to wait until after you’ve filed your original return before submitting the amended one to avoid any delays. Keep in mind that if you’re expecting a refund or credit, you must file Form 1040-X within three years after you filed your original return or within two years after you paid the tax.


The most common tax errors that require an amendment to the tax return include inaccurate reporting of income and filing with the wrong filing status. Additionally, errors related to claiming incorrect or ineligible deductions and credits can lead to the need for an amended return. Forgetting to report taxable income, overlooking investment gains, and failing to report changes in dependents’ status are also common errors that necessitate amendments.

Inaccurate Reporting of Income

Inaccurate reporting of income occurs when people fail to include all their earnings on their tax returns, either unintentionally or deliberately. It can happen to various taxpayers, but it is more common among those with multiple income sources, freelancers, gig economy workers, and self-employed individuals who might have complex financial transactions. In some cases, people may overlook income from side jobs, interest, dividends, or rental properties.

To correct inaccurate reporting, you need to file an amended tax return as soon as possible. Carefully review your original return, identify the missing or misreported income, and provide accurate details on the amended return. It’s crucial to attach any supporting documentation, such as W-2s or 1099s, to avoid processing delays and potential audit triggers. Being diligent and honest in the amendment process helps you to avoid penalties from the IRS.

Filing with the Wrong Status

Filing with the wrong tax filing status can happen when individuals misunderstand the criteria or fail to update their status after significant life changes. For example, someone who got married during the tax year but filed as single instead of married filing jointly or married filing separately would have chosen the wrong status. Similarly, a taxpayer who is eligible for head of household status but incorrectly selects single status may also face this issue.

To fix filing with the wrong status, the taxpayer should correct their filing status. Including a brief explanation of the error on Form 1040-X can help clarify the situation for the IRS. Seeking guidance from Louisiana tax consultants can be beneficial in understanding the appropriate filing status and ensuring accurate reporting.

Claiming Incorrect or Ineligible Deductions and Credits

Taxpayers sometimes claim incorrect or ineligible deductions or credits when they misunderstand tax laws, overlook eligibility requirements, or inadvertently include expenses that do not qualify. For instance, a taxpayer might claim a deduction for expenses that are not tax-deductible, such as personal expenses like groceries or clothing. Alternatively, they might claim a tax credit for a dependent who doesn’t meet the necessary criteria.

To avoid such errors, taxpayers should educate themselves on eligible deductions and credits and keep thorough records of expenses and qualifying criteria. Consulting tax resources, IRS publications, or seeking advice from tax resolution experts can help ensure accurate claims. If an individual realizes they have claimed incorrect or ineligible deductions or credits, they should file an amended return.


If you notice that you received a refund that is too large, or if you realize that you need to pay more tax, you might be tempted to skip the amendment to save money. But this can be detrimental to your finances. It is essential to amend your tax return, even if the IRS didn’t notice the mistake. Failing to amend the return could result in underpayment of taxes, leading to penalties and interest in the long run.

Seek guidance from your tax professional if you’re not sure how to best amend your return on your own. They will help you to figure out how much you owe and how to best pay your tax debt. If you received an excessive refund, they’ll show you how to return it to the IRS to maintain compliance and prevent future complications. Being proactive and honest in correcting tax mistakes will contribute to peace of mind.


Tax resolution specialists can provide invaluable assistance when it comes to amending your tax return and navigating complex tax issues. They possess expertise in tax laws and regulations, enabling them to identify errors in your original return and recommend the appropriate steps for correction. When you realize that you need to amend your return, reach out to an expert, who can ensure that all necessary forms and documentation are properly filed.

Specialists will also help you understand the implications of the amendment, especially if it results in owing additional taxes or impacts your future tax situation. They can assist in developing a plan to address any tax liabilities, helping you explore options like setting up payment plans with the IRS if needed. Additionally, tax specialists provide valuable advice on avoiding similar mistakes in the future, helping you stay compliant with tax laws.

When you notice a mistake on your tax return, act as quickly as possible to prevent fees, interest charges, and penalties. The best way to get started is to speak to local Louisiana tax consultants. Message us at Geaux Tax Resolution to find out more about amending your return and paying off your tax debt. We will come up with a comprehensive strategy that prevents problems with the IRS and reduces your tax burden.

Share on:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *